I can’t wear red lipstick anymore. I never was a huge fan, but I used to break it out on special occasions, like you’re supposed to. Nowadays, I can’t tolerate it. I don’t know what it is, but I’m pretty sure it has something to do with getting older. I can’t pinpoint the problem but it’s kind of… jarring? Or scary. It’s just bad.
It may be that I never found the right shade of red, because I know there are women out there over the age of 35 who look good in red lipstick. Nevertheless, when I came across Cindy Joseph, a former makeup artist turned model (at 50!) who founded a line of makeup called BOOM, I felt like she was speaking my language. It’s a cliche but less really is more when it comes to makeup as you get older. Too much just emphasizes whatever stuff you might be trying to camouflage.
How much is too much is pretty subjective, but Joseph’s cosmetics “line” is the ultimate minimalist approach: one product in a few different iterations. It’s a stick that comes in one color (she says it works for every skin tone), which can be used on the cheeks, forehead, eyes and neck. She also has a glimmer stick, a moisture stick, and—the only product that doesn’t come in stick form—a moisturizer in a pot.
I am tempted to purchase the BOOM products, but I have SO MUCH makeup that I don’t use at the moment, (despite continuous purging; my daycare provider is set for life with lipstick and nail polish) that it’s tough to throw down $27 for 8 grams of product. Also, despite my age, I still have oily skin that tends to break out, and several reviewers have complained that the product is a bit greasy. (But if you have dry skin, I bet it would be awesome for you.)
So I’m holding off for now, and luckily I already own several similar products! And there are plenty more where that came from, check them out above, buy them below:
- Tarte Cheek Stain, $30—This is one of the first cheek stains, and though it doesn’t talk about lips or eyes on the label, what they don’t know won’t hurt them and will only benefit us.
- Josie Maran Argan Color Stick, $22—It’s got that argan oil! So it replenishes the skin and/or lips while giving a dewey touch of color.
- Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment, $23—This is technically indicated for lips only, but rules are meant to be broken! I use this one often.
- Master Glaze, $8.50—You can’t beat the price, and it comes in 6 colors.
- Ilia Multi-Stick, $34—This one’s a makeup artist favorite, and is made of organic ingredients plus vitamin E and shea butter.
- Nars’ The Multiple, $39—I love all the colors this one comes in, not to mention the cheeky (pun intended) names. The only drawback for me is the shimmer. Too much of it can emphasize lines. But a little, if it’s well-placed, is lovely.
- Boomstick (not pictured), $27
Also check out my essentials for a no-makeup makeup look!